I have been looking for a way to revive a family old recipe of my great-grandmothers. The meatloaf recipe was passed down for generations and now it has landed in my hands. Although my family’s original way will always be a classical favorite, I wanted to try and spice it up for my family. I found that the best way to give anything a kick is with chipotle chillies. I made this two nights ago for my family and they LOVED what I did with the recipe. I was reluctant at first but now they want the recipe so they can try it! If want to give your own meatloaf recipe a little flare, here is my recipe for spicy chipotle meatloaf.
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup hickory flavored barbeque sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced, or to taste
- 2 chipotle chilies in adobo sauce, minced, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons adobo sauce from chipotle peppers
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 onion, chopped
- Organic Red Onions
- 1/2 cup dry oatmeal
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons hickory flavored barbeque sauce
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F . Spray a 9×5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Beat eggs in large mixing bowl until smooth. Whisk in 1/3 cup barbecue sauce, garlic, chipotle chiles, adobo sauce, kosher salt, black pepper, celery salt, cumin, and Worcestershire sauce until evenly smooth.
- Mix in the onion, oatmeal, and ground beef with your hands until evenly blended. Pack the mixture into the prepared pan. Brush the top of the meatloaf with 2 more tablespoons of barbecue sauce.
- Bake until there is no longer pink in the center, which rounds to around about 1 hour.
- Once done, check the temperature with an instant-read thermometer that holds 160 degrees F for 10-15 seconds.
- Slice up and enjoy!