Stuffed cabbage, also called Cholopchkes, is a Simchat Torah classic.
- 2 lbs. ground beef
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked rice
- 4 tbsp. water
- 2 onions
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 head cabbage
- 2 15-oz. cans tomato sauce
- 2 15-oz. cans jellied cranberry sauce
- 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp. salt
- Place cabbage in a pot, cover with water and bring to a boil. Remove the cabbage and allow to cool.
- Sauté the onion in 2 tbsp. olive oil and 1 tsp. salt. Mix it with the ground meat and rice. Mix the water into the meat and rice.
- Lay out each leaf. Place 2 tbsp. of meat at the base, and roll up according to the collage above. Wedge all cabbage rolls tightly into a pot.
- Pour 2 cans tomato sauce, 2 cans jellied cranberry sauce and 2 cans water over the cabbage rolls. Squeeze juice of 1 lemon and sprinkle 1 tbsp. salt over the pot.
- Cook on a low flame for 2–3 hours. Serve immediately, or cool, refrigerate and reheat later.